Queen Elizabeth Offers Conclusion to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Royal Exit

January 18, 2020
Categories: 

The Queen has spoken.

Queen Elizabeth has offered up the official announcement backing Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to step down as senior royal members.

The conclusion came following a royal family summit held on Monday with the 93-year-old monarch, Prince Charles, Prince William, and Harry, according to PEOPLE.

“Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family,” the monarch said in a statement on Saturday.

The statement continued: “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life."

"I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family,” the statement added.

The Queen wished them all the best as she concluded, “It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.”

The change in the royal family will go into effect in Spring 2020, according to a separate statement from the Buckingham Palace.

The statement gave a more detailed breakdown of what Prince Harry and Meghan’s exit will mean including their desire to be financially independent.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives. As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments,” the statement said.

“They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties. With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty,” the statement explained.

“The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home. Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly- funded security,” the statement concluded.

Earlier this month, the royal couple announced their decision to take a step back from their royal duties in order to focus on their family and transition into a “progressive new role” within the institution.

The Queen previously shared a statement following Monday’s discussion in which she said she is "entirely supportive," although she "would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the Royal family."

“Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives. It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK. These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days,” the previous statement offered.

Following the news, President Donald Trump weighed in on situation calling it “sad” and adding, “I just have such respect for the Queen, I don’t think this should be happening to her.”

LISTEN NOW on the RADIO.COM App
Follow RADIO.COM
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram